Chainsaws are becoming more of a home tool for chopping trees as well as other gardening and DIY jobs than the more conversant rugged device exclusive for lumberjacks. In fact, they now come in designs and construct that makes them so suitable for home use with minimal risk of accidents. One of such a saw is the OREGON CS300 Chainsaw.
In this article, we will provide you with a detailed review of this tool. As a norm, we focus on its performance, build-quality and durability, ease of use, price, and limitations. So, if you read to the end, you’re sure of getting a detailed evaluation of the tool to guide your purchase decisions.
The CS300 Overview
OREGON CS300 comes with the standard features found in many competitive products within its category and price range. However, it adds to these features other outstanding options like brushless motor technology for more power, torque, power efficiency, a self-sharpening option- the PowerSharp System, instant start option, and other exceptional functions. The tool comes with a superior-grade construction. Although it is slightly heavier than some competitors, its weight accounts for more balance and better handling.
Some Unique Features Of This Product
- Advanced Drive System: Motors drive most power tools, and their overall performance first depends on the quality of its drive system. While brushed motors are less expensive, their moving brushes create friction, reducing the tool’s energy efficiency. The brushless motor system was designed to provide more power and torque per weight (30% more power) and eliminate internal movement; thus, friction, heat, and improving power efficiency.
This tool comes with the advanced brushless motor drive system, and it delivers a blade speed of up to 14.2 m/s. This cutting-edge motor type works even better with the tool’s 36V lithium-ion batteries (not included) for optimum performance throughout the cutting operation.
- PowerSharp Sharpening System: Top-quality chainsaws, like this one, have a mechanism for self-sharpening its blade. CS300 comes with the OREGON built-in PowerSharp Sharpening System that sharpens the blade by simply pulling the lever for 3-5 seconds. Thus, eliminating downtime from a dull chain.
- Electronic Chain Brake: Chain brakes areanessential safety feature on chainsaws. They secure the chain with a clamping force when the throttle needs to be half-open, like changing positions, moving between cuts, and starting a cold chain to prevent theblade’s accidental movement.
This tool comes with an electronic chain brake system that quickly stops the chain movement and also acts as an anti-kickback when the chain is running.
- Automatic Chain Oiling: OREGON CS300 comes with a reasonablysmall oil tank (120ml) but lets you effectively monitor the oil level from its translucent container. The lubrication system is, however, automatic. So, all you have to do is frequently refill the tank, and your blade will always run smoothly.
- Ergonomics and Balance: This chainsaw weighs 5.4kg with its battery. It isn’t the lightest in the market, nor is it among the heaviest. It is common to see heavyweight as a disadvantage, but it provides more balance on the bright side. This machine’s weight, along with its design that evenly distributes the weight, provides better handling. Moreover, the tool also features unique rubber over moulds on its handles for a firm, comfortable grip while minimizing shocks and vibrations from being transferred to the operator.
|Dimension||46 x 27 x 26 (L x W x H) cm|
|Chain Speed||14.2 m/s|
|Blade Length (Guide Bar Length)||40 cm|
|Oil Tank Volume||120 ml|
|Machine’s Weight||4.6 kg|
|Chain Pitch||3/8 inch low profile/ .050 inch gauge|
OREGON offers a 3-year warranty and a 30-day money-back guaranty for this chainsaw.
- Integrated, quick self-sharpening function
- Instant start
- Quite heavy but evenly balanced design
- Low vibration and silence between cuts
- Integrated tool-less chain tension mechanism
- Sold as a bare tool
- Only suitable for chopping small trees
Recommendation and Purchase Option
Overall, we only recommend OREGON CS300 for DIYers or artisans seeking a reasonably powerful and effective tool for felling small trees and chopping branches. Its performance in handling those tasks are top-notched- no noise and vibration, smooth cuts, and more.