Jigsaws come in different designs, construct, and performances. They are highly efficient in making straight or curved cuts on wood, metal, steel, and aluminum. But to provide more handling, products from the same manufacturer with the same features come in two designs- the bow handle type and the barrel handle type. In this article, we will review such a product- the Makita DJV181Z cordless barrel handle jigsaw.
Will this device tick all the boxes for you? How well does it perform? What are the exceptional features it has? How does it compare to other products? You’ll get precise answers to those questions in this review.
Makita DJV181Z is a barrel handle type cordless jigsaw equipped with features and functions that guarantees a top-notch cutting operation and an exception, professional finish. The device comes with the same features as with the Bosch DJV182Z, only that the 183Z is the bow handle type. This product comes with a superior-grade brushless motor that delivers a no-load speed of up to 3500rpm efficiently. The motor quality along with the variable speed control dial lets the device adapt for various applications across different materials.
Several other functions give this device an edge over many competitors. Its soft-start option, electric brake, and adjustable bevel cuts are a few.
Some Unique Features Of The DJV181Z
- High-grade Brushless Motor: Brushless motors come with intelligent and advanced technology that is sweeping the power-tool industry so quickly. Precisely, they provide more torque per weight and lets the tool remain convenient to handle and maneuver. More so, they match the power consumption of the device to its operational need that energy efficiency is optimum. Because brushless motors, as the name implies, do not use brushes, there are moving parts within its construct. Hence, less friction and heat resulting from the movement and that, in turn, let the machine run longer without overheating. This device has a 390W rated brushless motor that efficiently drives its cutting operation.
- Cutting Performance: Makita DJV181Z has a maximum stroke rate of 3500spm to drive its cutting operation. However, cutting through different materials will require varied rotation of the blades. As such, there is a variable control dial that allows users to vary the device speed within 500 – 3500spm to match these cutting needs.
Jigsaws are ideal for making straight cuts buts their peculiarity over other saw types like the circular saw is its maneuverability and allowance for slant cuts. Thus, to account for slight cuts this tool has an adjustable bevel lever for cuts of up to 45degrees left or right and a positive stop at 90degrees.
- Soft start and “Soft No-Load” Functions: High-speed Makita power tools, like this one come with the special Soft Start function to improve machine performance and keep working conditions safe. This feature lets the device build up its speed rather than blasting at full speed when switched on. It prevents the tool from receiving full power from rest and jerking when working. The Soft No-Load option works similarly. Precisely, it automatically reduces the motor speed when idle to suppress the vibrations transferred to the machine body and user’s hand.
- Twin LED job light
- Heavy-duty aluminum base
- Cover plate to protect the workpiece from scratches
|Dimension||22 x 29 x 10cm|
|Strokes Per Minute||800-3500spm|
|Cutting depth||135mm in wood, 20mm in Aluminum, and 10mm in steel.|
|Included components||Anti-Splintering Device, Dust Nozzle, Hex Wrench, Cover Plate, and Jigsaw.|
This tool has a 3-year manufacturer warranty when registered within 30 days of purchase.
- Excellent design suitable for both left and right-handed users
- Tool-less blade change for easy and fast change of blades
- The barrel-type design provides better handle and control of the cutting operation
- Superb overall performance
- High-quality construct
- Superior-grade brushless motor
- Not supplied with battery, charger, and blades
- Handling may be a little tricky if you’re only familiar with bow handle devices
Conclusion and recommendation
Overall, Makita DJV181Z build quality, cutting performance and long-lasting ability is unquestionable. The tool allows for such efficient and precise cut while guaranteeing maximum user convenience and ease of use. You may need a little time to get used to this design if you’re only familiar with bow handle devices. Yet, on the bright side, this design provides better handling.