Angle grinders come in different sizes but perform the same function. However, small-diameter grinders provide the best possible barrel grip as well as reach into confined spaces. In this article, we will review a small diameter angle grinder- the Makita GA5030R.
If you have been following our reviews on power tools, you will be conversant with our evaluation process. We first check the product’s available features and functions, its build-quality, and its limitation or design flaws. Then, we juxtapose those with competitive products within the same price range.
With those pieces of information, we can easily provide a clear-cut recommendation for purchase. Even more, you will be able to say for yourself whether the product is a good buy.
The GA5030R Overview
Makita GA5030R is an affordable small-diameter angle grinder. The machine comes with features and functions standard for its price, but its design and construct are quite different from its competitors. One of its most unique features is the innovative side-angle position that perfectly combines with its small gear housing for better handling and maneuverability. The tool’s construct is superior-grade, and many other useful features ensure optimum user safety and a high-performance operation.
Some Unique Features Of This Product
- Powerful Drive System: Makita GA5030R comes with a 720W rated motor that delivers a rotational speed of up to 11,000rpm for high-speed grinding. This machine’s motor is quite robust, but its standout feature is designed and constructed for long life. If you’re keen on a faster, cleaner, and more precise cut, you should be out for a grinder with very high rotational speed. This one isn’t the fastest in the market;some machines deliver up to 12,000rpm but are usually high-end. Moreover, this tool isn’t so much slower than those machines and would still guarantee a clean, precise cut.
- Sturdy Construction: Makita products are well known for their extremely long life, and this machine doesn’t disappoint. It features an outstanding, superior-grade construct and excellent build that is only common to very pricy devices. First, it comes with a heat-resistant metal gear case that quickly dissipates the heat generated from its fast movement. Thus, preventing its internal component from overheating and burning.
This tool features labyrinth construction that seals its motor and bearings from dust and debris. It also comes with a wheel cover protection from accidental scattering of a broken disc.
- Soft Start Function: This feature lets the machine start at a low speed and power but builds up both parameters in a short time. This function’s importance is to eradicate the possibility of a power surge upon startup and the common problem of aggressive jerking upon startup.
- Anti-restart: This function is somewhat of a power-loss reset option. It prevents an accidental restart of the tool when there is a power disruption, and the machine is in the “on” position.
- Lock-on Switch: Rather than frequently pushing down the switch button anytime you want to use this machine, you can simply press down a lock-on switch, and your tool will run at its current pace until the switch is deactivated. Hence, reducing your fatigue.
- Ergonomic Side Grip Handle: All grinders come with a rubber-overmould side-grip handle, but this machine has a unique design. Precisely, its side angle, unlike most grinders, comes tilted 20-degrees for better handling.
|Dimension||14 x 34.5 x 12 cm|
|Included Component||1 Side Handle, 1 Wrench, and 1 Wheel.|
Makita offers a 3-year warranty and a 30-day money-back guarantee on this machine.
- Machined bevel gears
- Innovative, ergonomic 20-degree side grip angle for better handling
- 2-position side handle for more control and safety
- High-quality construction with long-lasting abilities
- Comes in a flat head design for access to acute angles
- Excellent overall performance
- No tool-free adjustable guard
- No speed preselection mechanism
Conclusion and Buying Option
All in all, you will get a good deal when you purchase the Makita GA5030R angle grinder. The machine offers very similar features to competitive products but has the edge over most with handling, safety features, build-quality, and warranty. So, it gets our full recommendation for purchase.